Gastric sleeve surgery has helped many people to achieve their weight loss goals, but it is a significant medical procedure. You need to be sure that this is the best choice for you. Why should you consider having a sleeve gastrectomy?
Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery isn’t right for everyone, but there are some good reasons to consider it if you are struggling with your weight. Procedures such as the sleeve gastrectomy are intended for people who are very obese or who have medical conditions linked to obesity. You should always try to lose weight without surgery first, but if this isn’t helping or your health is very bad, then it may be a good idea to consider bariatric surgery.
What are the advantages of weight loss surgery over trying to lose weight through diet and exercise alone?
- Most people who have a weight loss procedure will find it easier to lose weight because of the effects of the surgery. All bariatric procedures will reduce the size of the stomach or create a smaller section of the stomach to fill up with food. You should therefore feel fuller after smaller meals, because your body will tell you that you’ve eaten enough once this smaller section is full. You won’t feel empty or as if you need to keep eating after finishing your meals.
- You should be able to lose weight faster with weight loss surgery. Most patients who have a bariatric procedure will achieve substantial weight loss within the first year. You should expect to lose 50% or more of your excess weight within this year if you follow your doctor’s advice.
- Having weight loss surgery is a big commitment. People who make it are often able to make permanent changes to their lifestyle thanks to the support of their doctor, the effects of the surgery, and the motivation that it provides.
Why Choose the Gastric Sleeve Procedure?
As well as considering the advantages of weight loss surgery over losing weight through diet alone, it is important to think about which type of procedure is most suitable for you. There are some significant advantages to choosing the gastric sleeve procedure over the alternatives:
- The sleeve gastrectomy has an added advantage over other weight loss procedures because it can actually help you to feel less hungry. After the procedure, you won’t be producing as many of the hormones that stimulate your appetite. These hormones are made in the stomach, so by removing part of the stomach we can reduce their production.
- Gastric sleeve surgery is less invasive than a gastric bypass and it won’t change the route that food takes through your digestive system, so you are less likely to need nutritional supplements. The risks of the procedure are also lower.
- Dumping syndrome is less common after a sleeve gastrectomy than a gastric bypass.
- You won’t need to come back to the clinic for regular adjustments as you would for a gastric band.
Gastric sleeve surgery can be more effective than a gastric band as most people will be able to lose 50-60% of their excess weight within the first year.